Sunday, October 07, 2007

My roots


Madrid surname was first found in Old Castile in the heart of Spain, where the name originated in Visigothic times. It means one who came from Madrid, the capital of Spain. When Jews converted to Christianity in Spain in the 15th century, whether voluntarily or by force, they often took a last name based on their town or city or origin.

Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Among the early explorers of the New World were Juan De Madrid, who came to America in 1510; Gonzalo De Madrid, who came to the Dominican Repulic in 1560.

I was born in Mexico City, my roots are both, my family came from Hidalgo, where immigrants from England and Spain settled attracted by the gold and silver mines at Real del Monte, where in 1830 the Cornish first installed the steam mining machinery. One of the family branches later became farmers and settled in Tulancingo, where my mom was born. On my father's side, his family came from Huauchinango to Tulancingo, and there was where my parents met, however they didn't get married there. They lost contact and it was several years later when they met again in Mexico City, where finally I was born.

No comments: